Friday, June 17, 2011

But, Mom, I'm not Ready Yet!

Oh dearie me. So the benefit of networking with awesomely fabulous people via twitter and then going to meet them at cool and fabulous conferences is that they then actually expect me to do something. I keep promising that I will. I promise them, I promise myself. Now I find I've committed to doing something. Now. Tonight. Tomorrow. This weekend. It's not a big thing, but I'm pretty scared.

I made some friends at the Inbound Marketing Summit in San Francisco very recently. (Hopefully tell the full story of our meeting soon enough- it's a good one.) Brandon Yanofsky is among the group, and he's suggested that what I'm suffering from is a bad case of "analysis paralysis." I liked the term so much, I've been using it ever since. Yup. I'm suffering from an inability to act. A stuck-ness. Well, what are friends for, if not to rip us loose from the bonds that hold us in place and give us the kick in the rear that we need to get moving? I'm moving, I'm moving, ok Brandon?

So, here goes nothing. I'm getting geared up to start some mischief, classic Jackie-style mischief. In a big way. I'm scared out of my mind. I don't have the faintest fucking clue what I'm doing. But it's time to jump in the pool. I'm not doing so well at learning how to swim, no matter how long I'm standing here watching you guys.

Ok. So I've been focused a lot lately on what I'm not, and what I've failed at. (The answer: I'm not a lot of things, and I've failed- a lot!) That's ok, and I needed to process for a little bit. But here I am asking myself, what is it about me that's special? What is it about me that's unique? What is it that I have to offer, here? What am I passionate about? Where do I belong? Because it's my job now to pull myself together, put my big-girl panties on, and get a move on.

Let's hope I don't pee in the pool, is all I'm saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment